Thursday, February 02, 2006

In Memory...

Last week saw a very sad occasion, the death of one of the community, one who was liked and respected by all who knew him. On Sunday 29th January 2006, a memorial service was held on the Lost City of Atlantis Shard in honor of James Carpenter, known also as Aquila. Unfortunately due to the large number of people in the city I was unable to attend until after the first part was over, but the Ceremony was started with the Honor Guard standing in line beside the Great Tree in a "missing man formation", facing the Takota building. Aeronie began the ceremony with a short speech about James, about his humour and his generosity to the community despite his own needs, and asked the crowd to sit in silent vigil with her for two hours. The guests were then invited to say a few words about their feelings, which here I collect:

J'mee:
To most of us here, James (Aquila) is known through his friendship via e-mail and in the Cavern. It is in these terms that most of us think of him and honor his memory. But... I wish to recognize that he had other relationships: chiefest being is family. And my sincere and heartfelt condolences go out to all of them.

BAD:
I would just like to say a few observations about Aquila I have made this past week. I never got the chance to get to know him until he passed, and I feel that I missed out on something in URU. As I read the stories of his life, and heard the emotion of those telling the stories through their words, I understood why he was so important to this game and to the world. This showing of people was more than a love for this game or gatherings, it shows a love for a player, a person, a man who ran something for us, and never asked for anything back.

Loriendil:
I knew Aquila from the Lysts of course, and from emailing from time to time... but I knew him best from the time we spent here. We were so excited to set up the Lysters' hood and we had a blast playing in the hood -- remember playing hide and seek Aeronie? (Aeronie nods) He was a good man, selfless, with a kind heart. Thanks

Horizon:
Aquila was near single handedly responsible for keeping Myst fans together after the fall of RivenLyst. We could not have asked for a better Lyst Admin or friend. He will be greatly missed. Cheers, Aquila, wherever you are.

For myself, like BAD, I never know Aquila, and yet on reading the many heartfelt words spoken about him on the many forums, I felt deeply moved to sadness of his parting, and a wish that I had had the honor to have met with him in the forums or in the Cavern.

Eder t'shorah, Aquila.

Stellaflora

1 Comments:

Blogger Blog Biscuit said...

Thank you for logging this and sharing it with those of us who could not attend the UU vigil.
:o)

mih-

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home